Yahoo is best known for their web portal, search engine, and directory and was founded in 1994 by Jerry Yang and David Filo. As of October 16th, 2012, the CEO and President of the company is former Google executive Marissa Mayer.
Under their Small Business division, Yahoo offers a few web hosting options and that is what will be reviewed on this page.
Before there was small business web hosting provided by Yahoo, there was a little known service (kidding) called GeoCities that ranked as the third-most visited site in 1999 and was shut down in April of 2009.
In this review, I’ll go over all of the Yahoo web hosting options and I’ll take a deeper look into what the plans offer, compare pricing, and look for reviews found on external verified resources.
Have experience with Yahoo Business Hosting? Awesome! Please click here and leave a review below!
Yahoo Shared Hosting Plans Comparison
Yahoo offers shared web hosting and Ecommerce-based shared web hosting with no other web hosting options available. In this review, I’ll go over both options and discuss the various features, options, and compare pricing.
All prices I show above are the real monthly rates for web hosting through Yahoo. As far as pricing is concerned, the advertised price you see from Yahoo is not based on their monthly payment option and is based on a 1 year prepaid price with a “special” on the first 3 months of that 1-year plan. That being said, to save you time from having to figure out your actual payment amount, I did the math for you:
Basic Shared Hosting Pricing Options and Comparison
- Monthly: $5.99 with no setup fee.
- 12 Month Prepay: $4.99/mo with new customer 3/mo discount, you’ll pay: $56.14.
- 36 Month Prepay: $3.99/mo with new customer 3/mo discount, you’ll pay: $140.65.
- 60 Month Prepay: $3.49/mo with new customer 3/mo discount, you’ll pay: $206.78.
Advanced Shared Hosting Pricing Options and Comparison
- Monthly: $9.99 with no setup fee.
- 12 Month Prepay: $7.99/mo with new customer 3/mo discount, you’ll pay: $89.89.
- 36 Month Prepay: $6.99/mo with new customer 3/mo discount, you’ll pay: $246.41.
- 60 Month Prepay: $5.99/mo with new customer 3/mo discount, you’ll pay: $354.91.
Premier Shared Hosting Pricing Options and Comparison
- Monthly: $14.99 with no setup fee.
- 12 Month Prepay: $11.99/mo with new customer 3/mo discount, you’ll pay: $134.89.
- 36 Month Prepay: $9.99/mo with new customer 3/mo discount, you’ll pay: $352.16.
- 60 Month Prepay: $8.99/mo with new customer 3/mo discount, you’ll pay: $532.66.
It is important to note that the “Basic” plan only allows you to have 10 site pages. I’d love to know how Yahoo expects you to use 100GB space with just 10 pages with no programming languages allowed? I think their Basic plan its quite absurd and should be priced far cheaper for what’s really being provided.
Yahoo E-Commerce Web Hosting Solutions
Above, you will find the current 3 plans that Yahoo offers for E-Commerce web sites including the pricing for monthly or 1 year prepay.
Each plan comes with a site design wizard, bulk-transfer options, catalog tools, inventory-management, a product catalog feed that is used by online shopping directories, and a maximum allowed product limit of 50,000.
Some of the better features of this E-commerce solution are not available under the Starter plan. If you subscribed under the Starterplan, you’ll miss the following features: Real-time integration, cross-sell/upsell capabilities, gift certification option, API integration, real-time order exporting for accounting and order-management systems, advanced real-time reporting, and more. If you need these features, you’ll need the Standard plan which costs $99.95 monthly.
If interested in this plan, be sure to visit their website to see the full list of features and options.
Are They Reliable and Trustworthy?
Yahoo currently offers a 30-day satisfaction guarantee that states if you are a new customer or transfer from a qualifying service, you are entitled to a full refund minus domain registration fees if you are not happy with the service as long as you file for the refund within 30 days from the day you sign up.
Yahoo currently maintains an “A+” BBB rating and is BBB accredited. Yahoo has received 704 complaints in the past 3 years with 240 of those complaints filed in the past 12 months. The rating is based on the business as a whole and not based specifically on their web hosting division.
Recent 2012 or Newer Reviews from Verified External Resources:
User scattravels posted about their poor experience on October 25th, 2012 and said:
For two days now, I am having issues uploading updates to my yahoo webhosting account website built with yahoo sitebuilder. Never had any issue before for as long as I have had my website (almost one year). [..] (BTW: All the help suggestions related to this issue posted by yahoo do not work, customer service has yet to respond..;-)))
On July 12th, 2012, PCWorld posted an article about a security breach that exposed 450,000 usernames and passwords.
I searched for positive reviews on WebHostingTalk about Yahoo and couldn’t find any recent posts to display. Most complaints say they have poor customer support response times, poor responses, slow speeds, and reliability issues.
How has your experience been? Leave a review in the comments below.
Customer Service Review
Yahoo offers the following customer support options:
- Toll free sales-only support Mon-Fri 7AM-5PM PST.
- Web hosting help section including an introduction, user guides, glossary, and more.
- Contact page requires you to select category, then narrow down topic, then select a question which will present quick answers. Email and telephone support is offered after signing in as a customer according to this section.
- System status alerts with system problems, maintenance schedules and more are available.
Scott’s Final Thoughts
At this time, I do not recommend Yahoo for web hosting services after my inability to find recent positive experiences on WebHostingTalk. How has your experience been with Yahoo? If you wouldn’t mind sharing your good or bad experiences with Yahoo small business web hosting, please post below.