Most people think WordPress menus are used only in navigation menus but they are mistaken. With WordPress, you can build your own custom menus to not only customize your main navigation, but you can also build menus for use in your footer widget area, sidebar widget area, and much more. Custom menus are flexible and can link to anywhere you want, even off-site.
Adding and Building Custom Menus in WordPress – You will learn how to:
- Remove the default navigation menu in WordPress.
- Find where to customize menus (WordPress Dashboard > Appearance > Menus)
- Create a custom menu.
- Use the “Primary Menu” option (Many themes have more than one, but WordPress 2012 default theme supports 1).
- Choose items that will appear in your custom menu.
- Build custom links for your menu.
- Drag and drop to change the order and arrangement in your custom menu.
- Edit and customize items on the menu including the text label.
- Create additional menus.
- Using the custom menu WordPress widget to display your menu wherever you want.
Now that you know how to build custom menus in WordPress, go on to our next video tutorial that will show you how to install plugins in WordPress to enhance and add features. Or, head back to the main WordPress training series page to see all of the available videos.
Have a comment, question, or suggestion for this menu building lesson? Leave a comment in the comments section below.