KnownHost is one of, if not the best VPS provider that I have found and use for the past 5 years. I currently own 3 VPS plans at the moment and besides this site being on an InMotion Hosting VPS plan, my other two are with KnownHost and I couldn’t be happier with my experience to date.
KnownHost was founded in 2005 with Justin Sauers as their current CEO. KnownHost is currently experiencing fast growth and has recently purchased Uberhost on October 24th, 2012 and currently monitors well over 232 servers at the time of this review.
The KnownHost brand currently offers Virtual Private Servers in managed and unmanaged versions and they also offer premium dedicated servers. In this KnownHost review, I’ll be taking a deeper look into their offers as well as shed some light as to why I think this company is the top VPS provider of 2013.
Have experience with KnownHost? Awesome! Please click here and leave a review below!
KnownHost Virtual Private Servers Comparison
KnownHost currently provides 7 managed Virtual Private Server solutions with varying disk space and bandwidth. This the screenshot above covers VPS-3 and VPS-5, I’ll compare VPS-2, VPS-4, and VPS-6:
- 2x Priority
- 4x Priority
- 8x Priority
Prices currently range from $25/mo to $120/mo depending on the plan you choose. All plans include 2 dedicated IP addresses which allow you to create custom private nameservers free, free setup which takes 2-4 hours, free migration, unlimited domains, and fully managed support.
An important note: There’s no hidden charges with KnownHost. The price you see here and on their website are the actual monthly prices and not based on some ridiculous prepaid amount. I love companies that are open and honest about their pricing and KnownHost is no exception.
KnownHost Data Center Locations:
KnownHost currently offers your choice between three data center locations to host your VPS. KnownHost states that you can’t go wrong with your data center decision and they recommend choosing the data center closest to your core audience’s location.
- Texas Datacenter – This is my favorite location because it is where KnownHost got their start and have the longest time located here. This is their state of the art facility that features premium bandwidth from providers such as Internap and Level 3.
- California Datacenter – Provides a blend of 7 bandwidth carriers.
- New Jersey Datacenter – Provides a blend of 6 bandwidth carriers and provides optimal performance for their East Coast clients.
KnownHost VPS Add-Ons and Upgrade Options:
- Memory upgrades: 256MB RAM for $7.50/mo, 512MB RAM for $12.50/mo, and 1,024MB RAM for $18.50.
- Disk space upgrades: 10GB for $15/mo, 20GB for $25/mo, and 30GB for $35/mo.
- Bandwidth upgrades: 250GB for $10/mo, 500GB for $15/mo, and 1,000GB for $20/mo.
- IP addresses: $1/mo. I remember when I first signed up, everyone was charging $2-3 per IP and I needed 10. The $1 rate is one of the reasons I chose them as my first VPS provider.
- Control panels: The pricing they quote does not include a control panel. You have a choice between cPanel/WHM, Parallels Plesk, or DirectAdmin for $5/mo. If you’d prefer to go the unmanaged route, you can choose Webmin which is free.
- Softaculous: $1/mo an auto installer software.
- Plesk Power Pack: $2/mo. Learn more about this option here.
- RVskin: $2/mo for cPanel only. This is a cPanel skin management software for building multiple themes for your website. Learn more here.
- Fantastico: $1/mo for cPanel only. I’d recommend using Softaculous but for your reference, their website is here.
- LiteSpeed: $12/mo to $28/mo depending on RAM used. Visit LiteSpeed for more info.
- WHMCS: $5/mo. Do you want to be a seller of your VPS hosting space? WHMCS offers software that helps you manage, bill, and support clients. Try demo.
Based on the RAM, disk, and bandwidth prices, I’d actually recommend upgrading your VPS plan to the appropriate level that has the RAM, disk space, or bandwidth you need. You’ll pay just a little more but gain access to much more resources by upgrading the plan instead of individual options.
KnownHost Dedicated Servers
KnownHost currently offers 3 dedicated server configurations. with prices ranging from $179/mo to $239/mo depending on your needs. This provider allows you to “buy down” the price by $20/mo with a higher setup fee if you’d like. You’d actually start saving money with the higher setup fee after only 3 months on DEDI-CP1.
Buy Down Calculations and Savings:
- DEDI-CP1 – $50 difference in setup fee. On month 3, you’ll begin saving money.
- DEDI-CP2 – $150 difference in setup fee. On month 8, you’ll begin saving money.
- DEDI-CP3 – $180 difference in setup fee. On month 10, you’ll begin saving money.
All pricing includes free cPanel with Fantastico/RVSkin and 8 IP addresses. Be sure to claim the coupon below to get free setup and free increased resources!
Are They Reliable and Trustworthy?
KnownHost currently offers a full 30 day money back guarantee on VPS plans. If you don’t like their services within 30 days of signing up, you can ask for your money back.
This provider also offers a solid SLA that I have personally used to receive credit on the rare outages I’ve experienced. Their SLA provides a 99.9% uptime guarantee that offers tiered stated credits depending on the total downtime you experience (refer to screen capture for details).
I’ve used KnownHost for over five years now and have had the experience working with their customer support to resolve problems on my VPS on occasion and give them nothing short of STELLAR A+ rating.
They have been responsive, willing to help, and they always go the extra mile if I witness server slowness to help me figure out what is going on, what is causing the issues, and lengthy details on how I can repair and fix the issues.
I’ve only had one or two extended outages in all of this time that may have lasted a half day for reasons outside of KnownHost’s control including hard disk failures or other hardware issues. Additionally, upon my request for their SLA guarantee credit, they have always been prompt and courteous and given my credit without any issues what-so-ever.
If you ever see an outage while hosted there, head over to their forum and click the “Network and Hardware status” forum section, go to your data center location, then look for current status updates. More than likely, you’ll see a report there about the issue because they are very active in monitoring and respond quickly to hardware issues. If it isn’t there, submit a “Critical” support ticket and you’ll likely see a response within 30 minutes (I’ve has a 1 minute response, 5 minute response, and 3 minute response on my critical tickets).
Overall, I rate them, based on my experience, an A+ and will continue to use them as long as they continue to maintain their excellent customer support and reliable VPS service. If you’d like to see proof of my customer support experience, proof that I actually use them, etc. Please see my detailed KnownHost VPS review on another site I operate.
Other Reviews I’ve Found Dated 2012 or Newer:
Chris Nowak sent us an extended review for KnownHost on April 27th, 2013.
I am using Knownhost hosting service since many years, i haven’t checked recently but it must be like 5 years now. I am very very satisfied with them mainly because of the best support service ever given to me and because their hosting have great uptime and downloading speed. (See the full KnownHost review here)
User andini posted a review of KnownHost on January 14th, 2013 sharing their positive experience and wrote:
Overall I like happy have been know KnownHost. I think, They realy have great support team to make help each their vps user. I can say great for them, cause I have tried many vps service provider before I used KnownHost managed vps service provider.
User anothercreativename posted a quick message to complain about an outage in Texas on January 21st, 2013. KnownHost responded with specifics and let everyone know it was a hardware failure specific to his node. I left a message there to request a SLA credit because they will honor it.
User sammyman complaints about paying too much for KnownHost on January 15th, 2013. KnownHost actually responded to inform him that they just upgraded their VPS plans and he may have a free upgrade available that will either increase his resources or he can downgrade to reduce his bill. This thread has users discussing the differences between managed and unmanaged.
User mAurelius said KnownHost is really as good as everyone says on September 23rd, 2012 and I quote:
The #1 thing that stands out is their service and support response time. Most the time when I submit a ticket, I’ll get some sort of reply within 5-15 minutes, and I’m not even marking the tickets “critical.” The other day I requested transfer of about 12 sites from another host’s cPanel account, and within 45 minutes of submitting the ticket, they completed all the transfers for me.
With all that being said, I’m very interested in hearing about your experiences with KnownHost. Please leave your review below!
Using KnownHost for Your Site’s E-Commerce Solution
If you’d like to run an E-Commerce store on your VPS or Dedicated Server that accepts credit cards directly on your site, you’ll need a SSL certificate.
I found a few references from KnownHost support staff that state KnownHost will happily install your SSL certificate on your server free of charge.
Customer Service Review
Be sure to see my review above because I discuss my experience with KnownHost’s customer support. They currently offer the following methods for support:
- Toll-free sales and billing telephone support. Hours are 9AM-5PM EST Monday – Friday.
- Live chat for sales questions only. This system was active and live at the time of this review.
- Direct email addresses to various departments.
- Online forum. Their discussion board is somewhat slow with only 2,290 threads and 13,000+ posts at the time of this review.
- Ticket system with access to customer support 24/7/365. I’ve sent these guys tickets at 3AM MST before and still received fairly fast response times.
- Knowledgebase. This system is noticeably out of date and not maintained with current issues they receive support tickets on. Their VPS Hosting section of the knowledgebase is the largest of all with 68 topics but overall, it has just over 100 topics available. The last update I see was July 24th, 2012.
- VPS frequently asked questions.
KnownHost is lacking options such as telephone technical support, live chat technical support, and I’d like to see their Helpdesk upgraded with custom options such as real-time updates when there is outages so that customers can be instantly notified if there are problems.
Overall though, KnownHost primarily focuses their technical support resources on their ticket system and they do this extremely well from my experience. I don’t know how many reps they have, but I’ll tell you, every time I’ve contacted them I’ve been blown away at the knowledge and experience those representatives have.
Scott’s Final Thoughts
I did this review a little differently than most of my other reviews because of my personal experience. Many of my comments were placed in-line with each section above.
If you’ve had an experience you’d like to share with my viewers about this host, please share it below. If you are interested in purchasing, please use my links if I’ve helped you. This money I earn is used towards free giveaways on the site via hired designers. Of course, putting food on the table helps too, so I sure do appreciate it! If you do order, please return in 6 months and let me know how things are going for you.
Please visit KnownHost directly to verify current pricing and plan options.